Indian, vegetarian, lentils
|Ingredients||Quantity||Unit of Measure|
Split Bengal Gram (Chana Dal)
Tamarind Ripe Brown
White Sugar Granulated
1. Soak the chana dal in 4 cups water for 2-3 hours then wash and drain.
2. Boil 3 cups water and the salt in a pan.
3. Add the chana dal, cover the pan and cook over medium flame for 30 min. Stir the dal when cooked.
4. Add cayenne, turmeric, cumin, coriander, sugar the tamarind pulp ( skin & seeds removed). Stir well and allow to simmer uncovered.
5. In a separate frying pan, heat the vegetable oil over low heat and add the mustard seeds and chopped garlic to it.
6. When the oil gets hot, add the oil mixture to the simmering pot of dal.
7.Immediately cover the pot and keep covered for 2 mins. While the dal continues to simmer.
8. Cook the dal uncovered for another 5 mins, and the dal is ready to be served with rice or bread.