Jager-Eintopf (Hunter’s Stew)
German, beef, stew
|Ingredients||Quantity||Unit of Measure|
Beef Stock Cubes
Black Pepper Powder
Onion Dry Red
Salted Table Butter
1. In a frypan saute onions, pumpkin and mushrooms in vegetable oil until soft.
2. Add ground beef; saute mixture 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in broth; bring to a simmer.
3. Add 1/2 t nutmeg, worcestershire sauce, 1/2 t salt, and 1/4 t pepper.
4. Peel the potatoes and boil them in salted water until tender, about 30 minutes.
5. Drain and put through a food mill or grinder. Beat in 2 T butter, 1/2 t salt, 1/4 t pepper.
6. Adjust seasonings to taste. Beat in eggs and remaining nutmeg. Peel, core, and slice apples.
7. Layer mixtures in a 1 1/2-quart buttered baking dish. Spread 1/3 of potatoes on bottom of dish. Top with 1/2 of the meat mixture and 1/2 of the apples.
8. Continue with layers, ending with a layer of potatoes.
9. Sprinkle the top with bread crumbs, and dot with remaining butter.
10. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 45 minutes and then at 400 degrees F. for 10 minutes more.