Spanish, shrimp, rice
|Ingredients||Quantity||Unit of Measure|
|Bay Leaf Dry
Green Pepper (Capsicum Green)
Lard (Pork Fat)
Rice Long Grain
Tomato Half Ripe
1. SET A LARGE KETTLE (not made of iron) over moderate heat.
2. Saute the onion, garlic, green pepper and celery in the bacon drippings for 8 to 10 minutes until they are limp and golden.
3. Add the parsley, ham cubes, bay leaf, thyme & cayenne pepper. Saute, stirring often, for 5 to 6 minutes.
4. Add the salt, tomatoes and their juice, tomato sauce and water. Simmer the kettle, uncovered, for 5 minutes, breaking up any large clumps of tomatoes.
5. Adjust the burner heat so that the mixture simmers gently. Stir in the rice, cover the kettle, and boil the rice for 40 minutes.
6. Add the shrimp, tossing the mixture lightly to distribute them evenly.
7. Cover the kettle and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes longer, until the shrimp are cooked through, the rice is done, and almost all of the liquid has been absorbed.
8. Taste the jambalaya and add the cayenne pepper and salt, if needed.